For those of you in search of the charity cycle challenge of a lifetime, Vietnam won't fail to leave an indelible mark on you!
SafeBase Therapeutic Parenting Programme
SafeBase is the most successful specialist therapeutic parenting programme for adoptive families in the UK, reaching over 1000 children and their families. It is now in its 15th year and in 2014 there were over 40 programes across the UK running every week. The programme aims to strengthen the relationships between parents and their children, improving family stabiity.
SafeBase is different because we provide a flexible approach, recognising each family's individual needs. The programme achieves this by:
- Putting attachement and child development into context for the family
- Explaining the impact of early adversity on brain development
- Explaining how early trauma impacts on a child's ability to develop security and trust
- Teaching families practical techniques to build positive attachments with their children to modify behaviour
- Helping parents create family stories to promote attachment and identity
- Enabling parents to exchange ideas and obtain mutual support
- Providing a resource pack for parents
- Strengthening family well-being and giving hope for the future
To find out more about the programme visit www.safebase.org.uk
After Adoption has secured a substantial five year financial commitment from a private funder to support its further extension. The aim is to make this adoption support programme available to all adopters across the UK by 2016.
Having secured formal partnerships, we are seeking further partnership arrangements with Local Authorities to provide this post placement programme to adoptive families approved by them, as a means of increasing the number and range of children for whom adoption is the placement of choice.
We are looking for the following:
- Formal agreement
- Matched funding
- Partnership working
- Shared promotion and publicity
- Political exposure
- Participation in a research programme